BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Time to upgrade my life!

Dane Cook is a funny guy, though I find his voice and his general manner of speaking to be obnoxious. Thus, I can only watch his stand-up. If I happen to be listening to his comedy without some sort of visual aid, I suddenly become filled with anxiety and rage. Some might say it's an odd reaction.

Why then, one would ask, do I have a Dane Cook's CD "Retaliation: Want" on my ipod? My answer: I don't know. I keep forgetting to take it off. It bugs the crap out of me whenever one of his skits comes up on shuffle, especially the one called "Bamf". That one seems to come up a lot. I can't tell you how many times I've been jamming out to sweet tunes only to be interrupted by "I MADE SOME UPGRADES IN MY LIFE SOMETIMES YOU GOTTA UPGRADE YOUR LIFE THERE'S THINGS THAT YOU NEED TO DO YOU NEED TO INVEST IN YOURSELF IN YOUR SOUL." I usually switch it right there, before he goes on to talk about how he needs a new "ve-hick-ul" to become a "bad ass mother fucker."

But the last few times the skit has unpleasantly surprised me during my itunes visits, it got me thinking. Maybe Dane's right. Maybe it's time for me to upgrade my life. I mean, I don't need to upgrade to the title of BAMF because, obviously, I'm already there. Duh. But I do need to take some steps to revamp my badass self.

So I'm starting with this blog. I've had a livejournal ever since the tender age of 14. Me and LJ... man, we've had some good times. But lately there's been very little activity there. Also, I feel like that journal is somehow trapping me in my teenage years. My username is deppluvr, for Chrissakes. I am no longer the angsty, naive, wannabe-punkass I once was. Nor am I nearly as obsessed with Johnny Depp (though I still worship the man). Plus, I not-so-smartly made my journal friends-only and took on the tedious chore of locking each of my entries. I really don't feel like reversing that whole process, and I think it would make my journal inconsistent if I suddenly stopped locking my entries. In short: I need to start over. I need a big girl's blog. I need to... UPGRADE!

I'm slowly but surely upgrading other aspects of my life, too.

In the material world: I'm on the lookout for a new bag (I hate saying purse or pocketbook because it sounds too girly and old-lady-ish) and a real wallet. Though I love my hedgehog and mushroom Yakpak bag and my purple duct tape wallet, they make me look like I'm thirteen-years-old. I'm also in dire need of new shoes, but I'm going to stay away from the Vans and other skater shoes. I've gotta get some more ladylike footwear. Lastly, I'm working on expanding my wardrobe to include more than just tees and jeans. Sure, they're comfy and practical, but they can get rather boring.

In my mental world: I'm trying out a new positive attitude thing. Though I'm a natural worrywart, I'm making an effort to look at the bright side of life. So instead of being nervous about going back to school, getting homesick, being forced into social situations outside my comfort zone, and maintaining my long-distance relationship, I'm getting excited about seeing my buddies, breaking in my brand new notebooks, making new friends, giving the roommate deal another try, living on my own once more, and coming home to go apple picking and corn maze-ing in the fall. I have faith that this year is going to be a great one and that everything will work out for the best.

I'm sure there will be more upgrades to come, but for now I'm just taking baby steps. And, I can't believe I'm saying this, but thank you, Dane Cook, for existing in my itunes library and reminding me to "invest in [my]self, in [my] soul."

0 comments: